Thursday, December 07, 2006

The old school...



So, since I finally have the chance to get off my ass and post something here, I decided to write about a something personal for me. Wrecking Crew, by John Albert, hits on the Los Angeles that I grew up in. It's the story, as told only by someone who actually lived it, about a group of guys who find redemption playing baseball.

However, these guys are'nt your usual 30 somethings playing on weekends tyring to relive past glories. These are the guys that I grew up looking up to. Punks, junkies, cross dressers, losers, failed actors. The stories are the stories of pretty much everyone that I knew, when I was a kid, sneaking out of my parents house to see Bad Religion at the Sportsmans Hall, for the fist time. The guys who used to call the Godzillas and the Cathey de Grand theirs. These were the people that I looked up to.

It's the L.A. that they don't talk about on E. It's the L.A. that I still feel in my heart, from time to time. The author did a terrific job of capturing not only the true nature of the charecters that make up this story, but of the feeling that everyone who has ever been branded a loser, fuck up, or just never fit in, gets when for just once, they get to taste winning, even if just for a moment.

The books been out for a while now, so if you have'nt got a hold of it yet, do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home