Friday, January 12, 2007

Shooting Sizemore

Celebrity trainwrecks like Danny Bonaduce and Flavor Flav certainly carved their notch out on VH1, scoring not only ratings but a renewed fan base. I for one never thought Tom Sizemore was in the same category as Flav or Bonaduce, so I was very skeptical going in to watching Shooting Sizemore on Sunday night. Was Sizemore going to be larger than life, over the top for the sake of trying to save his drowning career? I wasn't looking to watch another cocky, dysfunctional C-lister act a fool for the cameras for 30 minutes a week.

Sizemore is genuinely a mess. Facing possible prison time for alledgedly beating Heidi Fleiss a few years back, Tom has avoided going in to the big house thus far by dragging things out in court, getting addicted to crystal meth, going bankrupt and spending 3 months in rehab. This reality series appears to be focused on Sizemore seriously attempting to get his life together, and you can't help but feel bad for the guy. (Something that Breaking Bonaduce fails to illicit in viewers.)

But perhaps I'm just biased in that Tom is a Temple University alum like me. In fact he graduated from the same school within Temple, the year before I started college. And his resume is a litany of movies that I revere like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, True Romance and Natural Born Killers. So I think maybe I'm pulling for him more than most...

If the season preview is any indication, this show will at least captivate your attention for 30 minutes. And that's all you can ask from a show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home