Tuesday, January 02, 2007

United 93

Is it too soon? That was my thought when I first saw that this film was made, and then released on the eve of the 5th anniversary of 9/11. As a result, I didn't go see it in the theater. I just wasn't ready to relive the tradegy of that day and I think I thought that it would be a film that just rings of bad taste.

How far off the mark was I? Extremely. Paul Greengrass has put together a film that is very simple and powerful as it unfolds in real time, re-hashing not only the plight of the passengers on United flight 93 but the entire attack that fateful day. The outcome is well known, so you would think it would be hard to create a build up but Greengrass' decision to film the story in verite/documentary style adds such a level of realism to the events that it makes you feel like it is happening all over again, and you push aside your memories of the events so familiar and concentrate on the people on board the plane.

Greengrass made a wise decision to cast actors that would not distract from the story, so the most familiar faces you will see are Christian Clemonson and possibly David Rasche (He was Sledge Hammer back in the 80's sitcom.) Sidenote: Clemonson is tearing up the screen on Boston Legal as Jerry Espenson a lawyer who has suffers from severe ticks and has some incredibly back luck, but here has such a presence as essentialy the leader of the passengers who plot to overthrow the hijackers.

The film will hit you as an American in the face. I've been exposed to so many things about 9/11, it's ties to Bush, the possible conspiracy, the poor reaction time by our leaders, and although I'm not certain what really happened, it's not what this movie chooses to deal with. It's simply telling the story of the people who lost their lives that horrible day. And for that, I am thankful. Thankful for it's existence. And thankful that I brought myself to watch it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home