Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Departed

Dread. That was my feeling about this remake of Infernal Affairs that did well in the theater and is generating a lot of buzz for Martin Scorcese to take home a Best Director Oscar (finally.) Personally, I don't care for Scorcese's work. Perhaps one reason I avoided seeing this film in the theater. Secondly, as a fan of the original, I was disappointed that Marty was going to fuck with a really good movie and perhaps tarnish it.

Well, let me say that I was completely wrong. And for that, I'm sorry.

Yikes. For a movie that is 2 1/2 hours, it flies by. The story might even be better in this re-telling than the original, and the ending is literally breath taking. Stellar performances across the board, even by guys not getting much press like Alec Baldwin and Ray Winestone. I would like to point out that Marty shouldn't win Best Director on Sunday just because of that cheesy as hell final shot in the film, but something tells me he's going to finally score a bald guy despite my feelings.

Not only did I enjoy the movie, but now I'm kind of pissed that Matt Damon isn't up for an Oscar. In fact, I would have probably nominated Leo, Jack, Mark and Matt.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see you liked it i liked it as well but still not my fav of the year close second to children of men with little miss in 3rd.

kevvy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home