Monday, February 12, 2007

The Grammys

Eh, does anyone really care about these awards? Instead of focusing on the awards given to Mary J. Blige, Ludacris and Red Hot Chili Peppers, all multiple nominees and winners last night, let's zero in on the lesser buzzed about winners. That's where I feel safe and somewhat normal...

Oh, yeah before I get to that, let me say that I'm kind of happy the Dixie Chicks won 5 trophies. Rick Rubin clearly pulled something cool out of them this year, and I was thrilled to see Dan Wilson from Semisonic accept a songwriting trophy with the gals. I'm a closet Dixie Chicks fan. Don't tell anyone.

Technical Awards that I found cool:

Engineered Album, Non-Classical: "At War With the Mystics," the Flaming Lips and Dave Fridmann, engineers (The Flaming Lips).

Remixed Recording, Non-Classical: "Talk (Thin White Duke Mix)," Jacques Lu Cont, remixer (Coldplay).

Sorry Weird Al:
Best Comedy Album: "The Carnegie Hall Performance," Lewis Black.

We Got Married In A Fever:
Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media: "Walk the Line," Joaquin Phoenix and Various Artists.

Um, shocker?
Short Form Music Video: "Here It Goes Again," OK Go.

Not my favorite track, but I'll take it:
Best Male R&B Vocal Performance: "Heaven," John Legend.

How fun?
Best Hard Rock Performance: "Woman," Wolfmother.

Best Metal Performance: "Eyes of the Insane," Slayer.

And finally, if I have to choose mainstream artists that I admire and that don't annoy me 100% of the time...I can live with both of these.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: "Ain't No Other Man," Christina Aguilera.

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: "Waiting on the World to Change," John Mayer.

Mayer of course is a Grammy favorites, but I'm torn on him as a person right now. Dating Jessica Simpson? That's messed up. But his forray into stand up comedy shows bravery and a sense of humor. Why does he look like crap in every picture I see of him though?

And Xtina, well the girl can sing. And that tune is catchy as hell.

Anyway...

1 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger jooliepoison said...

I got Mary's back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home