Monday, July 31, 2006

Mixed Bag

Anyone else hooked on Intervention on A&E? Is that wrong to use the word hooked to describe my feelings for this show that deals with addition? The format of this show is simple, find an addict, follow him/her around as they use and then turn the tables on them with a family intervention. I find it fascinating that this show gets such access to the life of an addict. And the usual ending shows the power of rehab, most profiled addicts turn themselves around giving you a happy ending.

Decades Live on VH1 Classics featured Elvis Costello being joined by Billie Joe Armstrong, Fiona Apple and Death Cab for Cutie live in Atlantic City performing his interpretations of their songs and vice versa. Fiona does a very creepy version of I Want You that I thought was amazing. And Elvis really tears up I Will Follow You Into the Dark with Ben Gibbard.

Happy Birthday to MTV! Tomorrow the channel turns 25 years old. Jeez, I'm old. I vividly recall the launch of the music video age in 1981 when I was 9 years old, but it wasn't until 1986 when 120 Minutes was launched did I truly appreciate how MTV brought music to the kids. So much of my record collection would not be there if I didn't see it on 120 Minutes, They Might Be Giants, The Replacements, REM, The Cure, XTC and The Smiths would be insignificant band names to me instead of being artist I respect and admire.

New Feature: Song of the Week
Now Playing: Ben Kweller - Penny On A Train Track

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiona was unlistenable so I missed everyone else.Song of the week is a good idea

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger jooliepoison said...

Dude. They should have a celebrity version of Intervention. It would be amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home