Sunday, September 03, 2006

Decent Downloads


The Thermals -- The Body, The Blood, The Machine
Everyone in the south, it seems, have these wierd "W" stickers on their car with the year 2004 underneath of it. It took me a long time to figure out what these stickers meant, and when I finally did, I wanted to shoot myself in the face. Every one of these stickers stands for a family of suckers who voted for George "W" Bush. It really pisses me off when I see one, and I bet the Thermals would be rather disgusted as well. They're sick of all the bullshit and wrote a few ditties about it. If you're looking for happy lyrics about puppies and gumdrops, you're gonna have to go somewhere else. The Thermals lay it out on the table in all of its bloody glory--they tell you to get the f*** out of the country while you still can.

A post-punk outfit from Portland, Oregon, The Thermals are gaining a much wider fanbase with this new album. The Body, The Blood, The Machine was recorded by Fugazi's Brendan Canty, and is a straightforward album that rocks your balls off. Or in my case, my tits.

Sounds Like: Third Year Freshman, Zoloft the Rock and Roll Destroyer



The Duke Spirit -- Cuts Across the Land
I first discovered British band The Duke Spirit on Amazon of all places. Sometimes I get lost in a tangled web of "lists" and eventually stumble on something half decent. The Duke Spirit have been quite popular in England for several years, but were only officially introduced to us via their American release of Cuts Across the Land in March. As vocally captivating as Karen O., Liela Moss sings in a driving, yearning manner that has you charmed immediately. The Duke Spirit depend highly on a blues, garage rock base. Liela is backed by four incredibly talented musicians who take care not to overpower her vocals.

Sounds Like: a tough My Bloody Valentine, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Kills

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home