Monday, November 27, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

This film should be required viewing for all 8th grade students of the world. And probably all politicians, regardless of partisanship, currently sitting up on Capitol Hill. Al Gore shrugged off the robbery of the presidency 6 years ago and delivers his slide show all over the world trying to persuade mankind to make global warming "a moral issue."

For 90 minutes Gore very calmly and entertainingly explains the many environmental issues plaguing our planet. Shedding some much needed light on the facts, Gore is doing his best to inspire people to give a shit about the planet. I found the information to be brutal and honest, a bit of a wake up call, and it made me wonder why our government can't seem to work together to solve problems.

I was a guy who voted for Gore. And as soon as 9/11 hit, I was kind of happy he wasn't at the helm of our nation. Why? Because he is better suited to issues like the environment as this film shows, and I wasn't sure he would act at all to terrorist threats. Now of course Bush has fucked this up entirely, focusing on WMDs and Iraqi leaders instead of getting old Osama, so I guess he wasn't the right guy in the hot seat either. But my point has nothing to do with terrorism, it has to do with wondering why our politicos can't be the bigger man from time to time and just do the right thing. Bush stole the presidency away from Gore, but he could have smoothed over that nonsense by giving Gore a big role in working to improve our environmental issues. Everybody wins. I guess I have perfect world syndrome sometimes.

In any case, you should really spend the time to learn a little about what we as a nation are doing to lead the pack in destroying good old planet Earth. It's quite sad to think that if we do nothing, like we have been for the last 40 years, we might be looking at tragedy 100 times bigger than Katrina in my lifetime. And trust me, that's not just liberal jiggerish...it's fact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home