Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Tenacious D

Flashback: A few years back I was uber obsessed with Mr. Jack Black and Mr. Kyle Gass. Collectively these guys are Tenacious D, the greatest rock band of all time. Jack blew up in High Fidelity, the guy from Mr. Show was finally and deservedly so becoming a major talent in Hollywood. This new found success allowed Jack to realize the dream of putting out a D album and I was more than eager to grab a copy and laugh my ass off.

I recall going to see the D live in Philly at the Electric Factory and being entertained immensely at how well Jack and Kyle committed to their music, of course they were funny, but I thought they were very talented musically as well. I saw them again as an opening act for an all day festival show and later managed to run in to Kyle Gass in the crowd and took the time to share with him my happiness with their performance. It was a thrill, mainly because Kyle was such a normal guy, like one of your Dad's friends.

So why on earth am I just not certain that the Pick of Destiny will be any good? Entertainment Weekly just reviewed the soundtrack and gave it a hearty B grade...but yet I still don't think I want to buy it. I'm not sure I even want to hear any of it actually. Did the moment pass for these guys? I saw the trailer a couple months ago for the Pick of Destiny and remember feeling slighty embarassed for them instead of excited that a movie was finally here after years of speculation. It was like those horrible SNL movies based on a recurring character...Stuart Smalley...oh he's funny...oh wait...is this for real?...oh my god this looks bad...please, please make it stop. And you know what? It sucks. Hero worship is how I would describe what I had for Jack Black. This was pre-King Kong, a choice that I still question. Why Jack? Why?

Thankfully, I saw the trailer for The Holiday and besides featuring my favorite actress, Kate Winslett and the beautiful Cameron Diaz, the movie looks like it's restoring Jack's shine a bit. So perhaps all is not lost.

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger jooliepoison said...

dude every morning i turn on MTV and watch it while i get ready and they must be playing that song at 7:30 on the dot every single freaking morning because the first thing i hear after my slumber is...."cause it's the PICK.....oof destiny!!!" it's really getting on my nerves. but i still love jack and his scrunchy faces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home